Your mind and your body are still yours even though it feels like things have been taken away without your say. with the COVID 19 pandemic.
All these pieces will look different for everyone. And things with your mind and your body will look and feel different right now.
But they’re still yours.
How will you chose to honour them?
Here are 9 ways you might like to consider:
1. Question the ‘shoulds’ that are coming up. Those shoulds (‘should be writing a book’, ‘should be doing all the virtual classes on offer’, ‘should be trying 100 new recipes’, ‘should not be snacking’) are an invitation for you to be a critical thinker, especially when you feel dissatisfaction with your body or yourself. Unfollow anyone that’s making you question your intuition.
2. Speak your truth. Be honest and clear with yourself and communicate what you want and need with others. Avoid going around in circles—lay it out.
3. Strength train. We’re in this for the long haul. The principles still apply. Ask yourself: is this workout moving me forward or is it wasting my time? Because, yes, you can still be progressing even without a gym.
4. There are circumstances, but they are not you. Who you are is how you choose to react to them.
Honour how you feel, but remind yourself you have choices. You'll feel how you feel but each moment you can decide the next step in which direction you spiral—up or down. Even if it’s down, that’s okay. Let perfect go then choose the next best thing.
5. Incorporate more movement, less intentional cardio. Walk more. You don’t need to fix anything with more intentional exercise.
6. Follow a progressive training program. Think long-term. Ask why you’re doing what you’re doing and find something that fits into your life—not you into it.
7. You can know better and still be kicked in the ass by society. Find the people and the spaces where you can tell the truth, stumble, grow and unravel while feeling safe to do so.
8. Have a plan. How is it you want to feel? Reverse engineer from there.
9. Honour how you feel, but remind yourself you have choices.You'll feel how you feel but each moment you can decide the next step in which direction you spiral—up or down. Even if it’s down, that’s okay. Let perfect go then choose the next best thing.
If number 8 is something you're struggling with right now, head to this link to find a new rhythm in this time, a new normal. Go here to register for more information for The Bold Collective: outside of the gym edition.